Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The 40 Day Program 2.0

In the beginning of August I decided to challenge myself with a program that was dubbed "Simple Strength". The premise of it has been previously explained (if you haven't read it, here it is  http://cflucktraining.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-40-day-program.html).

Well, I am sorry to inform you that I have failed the challenge. After 22 successful workouts, I failed to comply with the very first rule that was outlined: Never miss a rep. If the set calls for 5 reps, then make sure you get all 5 of those reps with quality technique. The program is titled simple strength for a reason. It should feel somewhat "light". Credit ego or lack of discipline for causing me to try a weight that I couldn't handle for the required rep. Here is a quick run down on how I felt throughout the program so far:

  • Workouts 1-5: "Wow, they weren't lying. This is simple!"
  • Workouts 6-10: "Holy crap, I am getting strong!"
  • Workouts 11-15: "Oh man, doing the same thing everyday kind of stinks!"
  • Workouts 16-20: "Wow, this is simple but it sure is driving me crazy!"
  • Workouts 21-22: "Well here we go again..."
  • Workout 23: "FAIL. Now I have an excuse to stop doing the same thing every day!"
Rob Lawrence once said, "I need specificity to get me strong and variety to keep me sane". That quote is this program in a nutshell. So after workout 23, my immediate reaction was to move on to the next thing. I have a few other programs that I would like to try and was going to take a 1-2 week break from heavy lifting. But after sleeping on it, I realized I can't stop now. So I am going to continue the 40 Day Program. If I go crazy over the next few weeks you will all know why!

To those who wonder how much it boosts strength, here are a few of my best numbers (weight x reps)
Front Squat
  • Workout One: 225x5 reps
  • Workout Fourteen: 295x5 reps
  • Workout Twenty-Three: 315x2 reps
Military Press
  • Workout One: 115x5 reps
  • Workout Twelve: 160x5 reps
  • Workout Twenty: 205x2 reps
Weighted Dead-Hang Pullups
  • Workout One: 15x5 reps
  • Workout Twelve: 40x5 reps
  • Workout Twenty-Three: 70x2 reps
Kettlebell Swing
  • Workout One: 40x30 reps
  • Workout Thirteen: 60x50 reps
  • Workout Seventeen: 70x50 reps
Their is great potential for improvement if you do this program. Even if you just want to regain some strength and not complete the full 40 days, 10-15 workouts should do the trick as you can see. Don't be like me, follow the rules previously outlined and only test yourself on the days you feel good. I made the mistake of "planning" my Tuesday workout a few days in advance. This sounds good until you begin your workout and realize you are not feeling your best. Listen to your body and know when to back down.

I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful morning!
Chris Fluck





No comments:

Post a Comment