Saturday, March 1, 2014

Football, Eating on the Road and 10,000 Swings

     Every year I get an opportunity to go to travel a bit and attend clinics. The past few days I was in Atlantic City attending one of the Glazier Clinics for football coaching. There are a wide variety of speakers and any topic you can imagine. I had an opportunity to listen to some NFL, college and high school football coaches who have been doing it a lot longer than I and been through many of the same things other coaches do. It also gives you an opportunity to network a little and make some new contacts. I spent a great deal of time listening to Complete Quarterback founder Chris Johnston and got some great things from him. If any of you have a child looking to attend a camp or get some quarterback training, I'd highly recommend working with this company. You may even see me there working a camp or two!

     When there is some good, there is also some bad. Eating healthy food during this trip was tough. I think the only time I saw a vegetable was on a hoagie or steak sandwich. Everything I planned to do just didn't work out. I forgot to bring some snacks, it was tough to stay hydrated, and I did not do any type of physical activity. A few days of inactivity never killed anyone but when you mix that with horrible food choices it is rough on the body. But tomorrow is a new day and a new training program.

     Starting tomorrow, March 2nd, I will attempt a new program. Well, actually it is more of a challenge. This is called the 10,000 Swing challenge. Over 20 workouts, you will do 10,000 swings. I spent the past few weeks preparing my body (and grip) for this program. Over 20 workouts you will do 10,000 kettlebell swings. For men, you will use a 53 pound kettlebell. The women use a 35 pounder. Here is how you do it:
10 Swings
1 rep of strength exercise
15 Swings
2 reps of strength exercise
25 Swings
3 reps of strength exercise
50 Swings
Rest

That is one round. Repeat this four more times and you have 500 swings in one session. The strength exercises you choose from are the Military Press, Goblet Squat, Chinup, and Dip (for the dip you do 2-3-5 on the reps instead of 1-2-3). You change the strength exercise each session. This program is designed to test your grit, increase lean body mass, and reduce body fat. 

Chris Fluck

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a crazy challenge! You motivated me to do more KB swing, but I am not even attempting 10,000! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone can afford to do a little more kettlebell swings!

      Delete